Monday, July 12, 2010

Ramallah






For our last free weekend during the program, I opted to visit Ramallah again and while I was there, we visited Yasser Arafat's tomb. This was a stop that we were supposed to make during the seminar, but missed the opportunity when our itinerary changed as a result of the freedom flotilla incident. A friend of mine who I work with came with me and fortunately, he reads Arabic and was able to interpret the inscriptions for me. His translations really made the experience more enjoyable, since the soldiers standing stoically were not very helpful. Although they were good sports about us posing for pictures with us.

After Arafat's tomb, we walked around the city a bit, visited the Ramallah girls, and watched the "toilet bowl" World Cup match. The match was fun, the company was great, seeing the girls again was fun and sleeping outside of the refugee camp was priceless. All in all, a great way to spend my last free weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment